As you might already know, cramps are one of the leading causes of anxiety and depression for women during their menstrual cycle. These cramps can feel like agony and many women have reported that the only thing that helps during these times is cannabis. That’s right! Cannabis is a natural pain reliever, which means it will help relieve your period cramps faster than prescription medications. From easing muscle spasms to reducing inflammation, here’s everything you need to know about using cannabis and how it can help with period cramps.
What is Cannabis?
Cannabis is a plant that has been used since ancient times for both medicinal and recreational purposes. Today, you can find it in many different forms, such as flowers, leaves, stems, seeds, and oil extracts. There are two primary active ingredients found in cannabis that are thought to be the reason behind its pain-relieving properties: Tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) and Cannabidiol (CBD). THC is the psychoactive ingredient that makes users feel “high,” while CBD is the non-psychoactive ingredient that offers pain relief without making people “high.”
How Does Cannabis Relieve Period Cramps?
The endocannabinoid system (ECS) is a set of enzymes and receptors found in the brain and throughout the human body, including the uterus, that interact with cannabinoids like THC and CBD to produce therapeutic effects. A few of the main reasons why cannabis use can relieve period cramps include:
- Reduces Muscle Spasms: Muscle spasms during period cramps can be caused by excessive contraction of the uterus. When cramps happen, the uterus contracts to expel the blood and relax muscles. However, during periods, this spasm can become excessive and can add to the pain. Cannabis works by controlling nerve activity to reduce muscle spasms and relax muscles.
- Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Period cramps are sometimes caused by an inflammatory response in the uterus. Regular cannabis use can reduce inflammation by modulating activity in the ECS. This is thought to be the reason why cannabis has been found to have anti-inflammatory properties.
- Antidepressant Properties: Studies have also found that cannabis, a key ingredient in cannabis, has anti-depressant properties, which may be the reason why people find it useful for treating period cramps.
Cannabis Strains to Use for Period Cramps
There are many different strains of cannabis available today, which can be confusing when trying to determine which type you should use for cramps. Each strain has different levels of THC and CBD, which can affect how it affects you. While THC is known to be the psychoactive component of cannabis that makes people “high,” CBD is considered to be the “active ingredient” without giving users a “high.” There are many different strains that can be used as alternatives to relieve cramps, such as:
- Sativas: Sativas are strains that are known to provide a stronger high and tend to be more energizing, while also being more relaxing. They are known to be good strains for helping reduce anxiety.
- Indicas: These are more mellow strains that are good for relaxing without making people “high.”
- Hybrid: Hybrid strains are a combination of indica and sativa traits and tend to provide a balanced experience, with a moderate amount of both psychoactive and non-psychoactive components.
Forms of Cannabis to Use for Period Cramps?
There are many different ways you can consume cannabis, such as:
- Edibles: These are foods that you can eat, such as brownies, cookies, gummies, or hard candies, that contain cannabis.
- Topicals: These are creams, ointments, or sprays that you can rub on your body that contain cannabis.
- Vape Pens: These are electronic vaporizers that you can use to inhale cannabis.
- Oils: This is a liquid extract made from the flower of the plant that can be taken sublingually (i.e. under the tongue). It is absorbed very quickly and is thought to have the strongest concentration of cannabinoids.
- Joints: This is an old-fashioned way of consuming cannabis that consists of burning it and inhaling the smoke.
Cannabis is a natural and safe alternative to prescription painkillers and over-the-counter medications for pain relief, including ibuprofen, aspirin, and acetaminophen. Cannabis can ease period pain caused by cramps, ease urinary tract infections, and help with insomnia. While there is still more research to be done, it is clear that women should start using cannabis to treat their cramps and other menstrual symptoms. Visit Budcargo.net online dispensary for all your cannabis needs.